I first met Hoot Suite a few months back off a recommendation from a friend.
And let me tell you, it was love at first sight!
See, I’m used to doing everything the hard way…or at least that’s what my mom always told me.
And that held true for the way I handled social media.
I have several sites in different niches all with their own Facebook pages and twitter accounts. I also utilize linkedIn, several ping.fm accounts and so on.
ALL of which I would aimlessly, and manually, update myself.
Keeping up with all of these was a full time task in itself. A task that was quickly burning me out!
Enter Hoot Suite.
If you haven’t heard of Hoot Suite already then simply put, it lets you handle all of your social media accounts in one place.
But, it gets a lot crazier!
What It Does
I LOVE tools that save me time…therefore saving my sanity…therefore making my life much easier and productive!
And since the Easy Button doesn’t really exist, I use tools like Hoot Suite!
Hoot Suite does all of that by…
- Allowing me to monitor and post to ALL of my social networks like Facebook, Twitter, Ping.fm and LinkedIn using the Hoot Suite dashboard.
- Create custom reports that allow me to see what’s working (and what’s not) with my social media campaigns.
- The biggest selling point for me is the ability to draft and schedule messages ahead of time! You can batch-schedule up to 50 unique messages at one time.
- They have a mobile app that allows you access to your dashboard on your mobile device for free!
- It allows you to monitor your brand mentions, industry key words, competitor names and more.
- Auto-update your profiles from your blog or news feed with RSS integration.
- Update your followers on the page your viewing or post as you browse right from the address bar!
- Built in custom URL shortener.
- If you have multiple employees all with their hands in your social media campaigns, hoot suite makes it easy to delegate tasks between employees and send automated reports
- And much more…
Honestly, I could keep going, but you get the point. It does a LOT!
How I Use Hoot Suite
To get the most out of your social media campaigns you MUST have a strategy. And that strategy should consist of more than just auto posting your newly published blog posts to Twitter and Facebook.
- Scheduler– I love having the ability to schedule my tweets, Facebook statuses, etc ahead of time. And honestly, this is initially why I started using Hoot Suite. By scheduling these ahead of time in the Hoot Suite dashboard, you can visualize your social media campaign for the month. You don’t want to hit your followers with offer after offer or just links to new blog posts, so this makes it easy to mix things up. An example schedule you might use:
Monday: Auto send out link to new blog post to all social media sites using the built-in RSS feed feature
Tuesday: Send out motivational quote to all social media sites
Wednesday: Send out pitch to an affiliate product to all social media sites
Thursday: Send out link to an older blog post to all social media sites
Friday: Auto send out link to new blog post to all social media sites using the built-in RSS feed feature
Saturday: Send out pitch to an affiliate product to all social media sites
Sunday:Ask your subscribers a question to help build relationships and engage with your readers.
And repeat this schedule week after week.
Now, this schedule is completely hypothetical, but it shows you how you can set-up different types of updates each day to give your followers a good mix of content, pitches, etc. Plus, it’s good to throw in a few questions or quotes since some people don’t like to be bombarded with links all the time.
Best of all, in about 30 minutes you could schedule out your social media campaign for the entire month! You can’t really beat that!
- Analytics – To get the most out of your social media campaigns you should take advantage of the in-depth analytics Hoot Suite Offers. I use the analytics to make sure I’m sending out my tweets, updates, etc when my subscribers are most active, thus increasing the interaction my updates get! Powerful stuff!
- RSS Feeds – Simply plugin your sites RSS feed and Hoot Suite will auto update all of your social media accounts with your latest posts. Simple, yet effective. Below, I will show you a ninja way to take advantage of this feature!
- Personal use – Not only do I use Hoot Suite for my business campaigns, I also check out my personal Twitter and Facebook accounts while I’m on there. The Hoot Suite dashboard makes it easy to jump from account to account with their “Tab” feature.
Taking it a step further:
- Syndicate your content– For those wanting to get their newly published content indexed faster, and to get a little link juice coming back to their site, they can utilize the RSS feed feature to easily do that. The steps to do this are:
- Set-up an account with Ping.fm
- Sign-up for several social media accounts like Tumblr, Plurk, Twitter, Multiply, Blogger, etc.
- Connect those accounts to your Ping.fm account
- Connect Hoot Suite with Ping.fm
- Then simply add your blogs RSS feed to Hoot Suite to auto send to Ping.fm.
Now, every time you publish a post it will be syndicated to all of the social media accounts you created above with a link back to your new post! Instant backlinks!
- Get backlinks indexed – Use the above method, but instead of connecting your blogs feed to Ping.fm, you use a program called LinkClaw that takes all of your sites backlinks and puts them in an RSS feed format that you connect to Ping.fm. This then automatically drips your backlinks to the social media accounts that you signed up for above, getting them indexed and counted in Google.
So, in a nutshell, that’s how I use Hoot Suite to dominate social media. There are other features that you may find useful, especially if you’re part of a team. So, check it out and let me know if you have any tips to get the most of this program!