Alright, so I got down and dirty on how I select my niche site keywords…
Now, it’ time to set-up my site!
This is actually my favorite part of the process. I love the feeling of starting a brand new project, planning everything out, etc.
And since I have an oversimplified process of doing it, I never really get burnt out.
So, let’s get down to it shall we!
Here’s a quick rundown of the steps I take:
- I use either Bluehost or Hostgator for all of my niche sites. For this specific example I’m using Bluehost.
- After ordering my hosting package I immediately use the ol’ one-click WordPress site set-up option.
- I then upload the thesis theme and install the WordPress SEO plugin, among a few other plugins. See my WordPress SEO Made Easy post for more information on how I optimize my sites.
- I make little tweaks to the sites design, add a logo, etc. You don’t want all of your sites to look the same, so making a few changes here and there is a good thing. Plus, if you have enough sites, you can test different elements to see what converts better.
- Ok, now all I need is quality content! This is where iWriter.com and oDesk come in. For this specific example, I need content for different requirements for all 50 states, so I hired a freelancer on oDesk to research and find each states information and write up a post on it. She is doing this for $200, which is a steal in my opinion. Importantly, I researched titles for each page of content to see which keywords would send the most traffic, so when I add this content to my site it will be optimized to get the most traffic (in theory). I also hire content writers through iWriter to create supplemental pages of content for my sidebar. I had 5 high quality articles written for less than $30! Lastly, I create a simple 45 second video with powerpoint (my wife does the narration) and I upload it to YouTube with a link back to my site and I also place the video in my sidebar.
And that’s pretty much it for the site set-up. Easy-peasy…
Interesting Niche Site Facts:
- It took 4 days for this niche site to be completed.
- It has 55 posts and 11 pages of content.
- It has a Twitter account that is updated daily thanks to HootSuite and an active YouTube account.
- I will continue to grow the site with fresh, high quality content weekly from my article writers.
- It’s two weeks old and has had 85 views with YouTube and Google being the biggest referrers thus far. I’m seeing a few hits a day for some long-tail keywords.
- The EMD keyword is on page 2 of Google already without even backlinking with that specific anchor text…very interesting! Perhaps EMD’s still carry a lot more weight than previously thought.
- I’m still trying to come up with a way to reveal this niche site to you without attracting a bunch of copycat sites or worse…
Before I go, I want to quickly
brag inform you that all three keywords are in the top 100. Now, that could change, for the better or worse,as keywords tend to jump around a lot in the early stages, but I will get into this a little more in my next niche site post, which will cover my backlinking methods.
Oh, and I realize some of this information might seem a little vague. It’s a lot easier for me to do than it is to type out, so if you have any questions I will be more than happy to answer them in the comments below.